WARNING: This fact may startle you:
80 percent of the U.S. population has some form of periodontal (gum) disease.
Despite this statistic, gum and other oral diseases are 100% preventable. The secret: Practicing good, daily dental hygiene. In honor of National Dental Hygiene Month, your Totowa dentist has the top four daily dental tips you need to do to keep your smile in tip-top shape.
- Brush Daily – Always brush two minutes, two times a day.
Brushing your teeth thoroughly (and gently) is the most important method to reducing plaque and preventing tooth decay and gum disease. When brushing, be sure to place the brush head at a 45 degree angle on your gumline and tooth surface while moving the toothbrush in a circular motion. Important: Make sure you replace your toothbrush every three to four months.
- Floss Daily – Make it a habit.
Brushing your teeth is extremely important, but it only cleans 70% of your mouth. Flossing covers the other 30% by removing plaque and food particles in between teeth. Neglecting flossing will only increase your chances of tooth decay and gum disease. Talk to our dental hygienists at Distinctive Dentistry of North Jersey to learn the proper way to floss.
- Swish and Rinse – Use mouthwash every day.
Incorporating mouthwash into your dental hygiene routine is an important step to a healthy mouth. Be sure to choose an non-alcoholic mouthwash to avoid dry mouth and be sure to look for the ADA Seal of Approval for a supreme healthy mouth.
- Chew Sugar-Free Gum – Add some sweetness to your routine.
After every meal and drink, plaque takes the opportunity to produce acid, attacking your smile. Research has shown chewing sugar-free gum after every meal can protect your smile because it increases the quantity of saliva, which neutralizes the acid.
Practice these four tips daily and schedule your biannual check ups with Drs Martin and Ferraiolo in Totowa to keep your smile healthy for a lifetime!
Do you have any questions? Comment in our blog below and we’ll be sure to respond!